Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database to point to new version

Status
Not open for further replies.

vngpal

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hi,
I have created a access database from MAS90 version 3.71. This works fine. Now we are upgrading to MAS90 version 4.05. I want the access database I have created earlier to point to the new version. Please help me with the solutions how to make the access database to point to the newer version?
Thanks
pal

pal

By MAS, are you referring to the accounting / manufacturing softeare application? MAS90® software

If so, then you may connect to the third party database using ODBC. The ODBC driver will probably be the same with version 3.71 and 4.05.

To provide specific guidence, you will have to provide more info.

The MAS90/2000 technical support may be able to provide much better and more efficient support.

However, a start is to view your table settings.

From the menu, select "View" -> "Database objects" -> "Tables" To the right of the table object, if you see a "right arrow" icon + a "form" icon, then the Access database is linked to an Access database table. If the icon is a "right arrow" + "globe", then Access uses an ODBC link to a table.

Next, start the "Link Table Manager". From the menu, "Tools" -> "Database utilities" -> "Link table manager".

This will list how your linked tables are linked. A linked table connected to an Access table will depict the logical location of the external database. An ODBC linked table will provide some info to how and what is linked.

The third part of the puzzle is the ODBC driver in how it is configured. You may have to create a new one. From the Windows "Start" menu, navigate to the "Control Panel" and then if the ODBC driver is not located in this folder (depends on version of Windows), double click on the "Administrative tools". This is the tool used for configuring ODBC drivers to connect to external data sources -- eg. Oracle, MS*SQL, Excel spreadsheets, etc. See if you can find the ODBC configuration for your MAS90 database and then review the ODBC settings. Settings will vary greatly on the driver but may include location, database server, database name, login info, etc.

Okay, now that you have a better "picture" on how your Access database access MAS, you will have a better idea on how to "link" to the third party database.

If you are lucky, you just have to use the "Link table manager" and re-link the table to the new location.

Richard

Thanks for your info. I have already made the access to point to new version. Your info will be useful to me for furture work.
Thanks
pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back