Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database runtime on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emario

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have an access 2000 database on our server. I made it a runtime application with the office developer with the assumption that it would run on the machines that do not have access. It does not work. The runtime tries to install it on the local machine. Is this is the way it is supposed to work. I just want everyone to click a link to the database and have access run. I thought installing it to the server was the way I made this happen. Thanks.

ACCESS relies on >1.000 Windows registry settings and can therefore not be used from a server.

So, if you want a professional ACCESS application to work on your network then you need the following architecture:

ACCESS.exe plus Frontend (FE) file on each Workstation
Backend (BE) file(s) on the server.

If both BE and FE reside on the server then your users will kill you (or at least curse you) because your application will be extremely slow.
Consequently, some less patient users will switch off their computers regularly and thereby damage your BE file(s) sooner or later.

Hi Eric,
You will have to install the Access runtime on each machine that will be accessing the database, unless you have a custom built frontend i.e. written in Visual Basic or some other compiled language. The idea of the runtime license in the developer kit is that the development firm can offer Access database solutions to customers without the requirement that the customer purchase Office or Access itself. This allows the customer a low-cost solution and ensures that Microsoft's database format is in wide use in the database market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back