Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Database Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

germain2

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2007
US
Can anyone enlighten me as to whether Access can be set up to allow data entry by more than one person at the same time? If so, how?
Thank

This is the default behaviour. I rarely do anything special to my databases other than splitting them into front and back-ends.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Here are the basics:

- Database is split, which breaks up the tables into one database and the forms/queries/reports into another. The one with the tables is called the "backend" database and the other is the "frontend" database.
- The backend database goes on a network share that's the same for all the users.
- The frontend database gets copied to each users computer and is what they will use to access the database.
- a workgroup file also needs to be created and placed on a network share that's the same for all the users (it can even be the same share where the backend database resides)
- Each users copy of Access must then be joined to the workgroup file.

Make sure you use the "Linked Table Manager" from the frontend database after you move the backend database to it's common share so that you can tell the front-end where the back-end database tables live. Once you do that it's good to be copied to all the users PC's.

Good luck,

The workgroup file is only necessary if you have user level security enabled on your application. I don't use ULS so this is never an issue.

I also include code that checks for a linked table and if it errors, a dialog box is opened that allows the user to browse for the back-end file.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back