Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACCESS DATABASE OVER THE NETWORK ----- PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoviceITGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2003
US

friends,

I have just started my It career so I new to IT, I have built a database and 5 tables for the database, i have also created datainput / data entry front end forms for each tables. Finally i will move this database & its tables into a server so the my co workers can access it over the network.
As I had mentioned I have created 5 screens each related to a pirticular table in a database, what the management want is to seperate each fornt end screen created and install them into different computers over the network. ( as there are 5 screens associated with 5 tables in a database ). So How do i seperate the screens and install them in 5 different machines over the network and make them talk to their tables , over the network to the database that will be in a server. so that the data entry can be done in the work stations and the information will be stored into the server which will host the database and its tables.

My questions are?

1) How do I seperate the screens and install them in seperate workstations?
3) How do I make those seperated screens & make them talk to the database & its relevant tables over the network to the server

Read the Access Help topic Split an Access database

What you are trying to do is a basic process for most database applications. You split the database into 2 files - a Front-end database which contains all your forms, queries, code modules and reports, and a Back-end database that contains ONLY the tables. By using the Database Splitter wizard (available on the TOOLS menu) this process is completely automated.

Once you have split your database, you place the Back-end database on your network in a folder that all users will have access to. You then place a copy of the Front-end database onto each users' PC hard-drive. (Note that moving the back-end database will break the link between itself and the Front-end. Use the Linked Table Manager (also on the TOOLS menu) to re-establish this link. To avoid breaking the link, move your unsplit database to the network folder BEFORE running the Database Splitter wizard.

Good Luck with your new career.

HTH
Lightning

Lighning's suggestion is defineately the way to go. I would only add two things.

First, I'm not sure I would separate the forms into 5 different databases. I think it could become a hastle to support. Rather, I would limit who has access to the forms based on security (which you should probably have anyway). For example, using security you could grant privileges in such a way that the users could only see/run the forms assigned to them.

Second, when you link your tables to a network server, don't do it using a drive letter. Use share names instead (i.e. \\server\sharename\yourbackend.mdb). If you're not sure how to set up a share name, your system administrator can do that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back