Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database on network set for shared but opening in exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icefall

Technical User
Sep 17, 2007
US
I have inherited an Access 2000 DB that is on a network drive. The database is set to open shared but has recently started opening in exclusive. I have found a work around for the users, but would like to fix it so that the shortcuts work for more than 1 user at a time. Any ideas where to look? Folder permissions are set correctly with the users having read/write/modify/and execute permission to the file and to the folder in which it resides.

Opening an MDB file exclusively is a setting in Access, it doesn't have anything to do with the file system.

Check Tools -> Options -> Advance tab, and in the Default Open Mode make sure your users are set to Shared instead of Exclusive.

JoeAtWork said:
...it doesn't have anything to do with the file system.

That's not entirely true. If Access can't create the locking file (ldb) when the first user opens the database it will become opened 'Exclusively' by that user.

I have also seen this caused by network latency. I think Access will only try to create the locking file for a certain amount of time before it gives up and just opens the database exclusively.

Hope this helps,
CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Joe it is set up to open in shared mode, but it is acting like it is opening in exclusive.

Then check if it's what CautionMP has advised.

For example, do users have file creation permissions so that when the first one connects to the backend database the lock file (ldb) can be created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back