Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database - multi user issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadfish

Programmer
Nov 13, 2002
HK
I have build a webpage using ASP with Access database on IIS, Windows 2003 Server.

I connect the database using the code:

oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("a.mdb") & ";Persist Security Info=False"

I also set LockType of recordset to adLockReadOnly for the pages that does not allow user to modify records.

In Access, the options of Default open mode is set to Shared and the Default record locking is set to No locks. It is also sure that each user has his own set of records to read and modify. It is NOT possible for more than one user modifying the same record at the same time (though they may visiting the same table). There may be about 40 concurrent user (at maximum) to visit the website at the same time.

Would user get error when there are multiple users connect the site (more than 20) at the same time? Anyone who have similar experience could give me some comments?

Thanks a lot!

MS Access has very limited capabilities for handling multiple users and connections - this problem is likely to keep occuring if you continue to use Access.

Have you considered an alternative database? SQL Server Express Edition 2005, Oracle XE 10g and IBM DB2 Express-C are all FREE for use, and will handle the connections much much better than Access ever could. You could also use MySQL or PostgreSQL if you preferred.

see this thread for link details:

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back