Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database design/maintenance 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkster2000uk

Technical User
Nov 6, 2004
GB
Hi im changing a stock table which is the most used table in my database from keeping records for 6 months to keeping them for 5 years. This would increase the table size 10 fold and increase it to .8 mb. Im wanting to know how this would affect performance of the database through more records in the table as the table stock is used most within the database. if it will affect the performance sequentially then i would have to create a table 'archive stock' but this would mean changing dfd's and lds's for a version control document which if performance is not affected is not needed! any help much appreciated!

I doubt it would cause many problems. I've got a 25meg table of attendance information accessed by no less than 10 machines at any given time and it runs fine.

Funkster

I had a similiar problem, but i don't have to worry about it anymore because I created a log table that gets cleared everyday. My db is now about 150 megs, and doesn't suffer from performance problems except on some reporting.

How fast do you need to enter records? If it's not a lot of new records every day then it should be okay.

Do you need to reference the table to make sure you aren't entering duplicate information? If you don't then creating a log will be the easy solution, and speed up record entry in the long run. But it sounds like it won't be an issue for at least the first six months ( so you have a lot of time to plan).

From what I have noticed, the larger the table the more prone it is to becoming corrupt, this of course can be overcome by better programming, i would think

Also, the larger the table the slower it is to add records, to pull data, and so forth.

Another option: You could archive tables with an extension of the month and year. Then create a union query that would bring them together for reporting and reference checking.

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

good day, i just want to ask how i can save data to an MS Access database from my VB6 using array of textboxes, i just think that by doing this my code will be shorter and hopefully make saving to the database faster ...all i want is to make my code in saving, searching, deleteing of data in the database shorter and faster and clean. no more long codes..thank you and more power..help is greatly appreciated. am new to vb6 programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back