Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Database Corruption Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieDev

Programmer
Jun 11, 2007
US
I have an application that was created using an Access Database backend and a Visual Basic forms front end. The users have been geting numerous error messages informing them that the Database has been corrupted - ussually all we have to do is restore the VB GUI fron end and everything will be fine for a while. What could be causing this problem? We compact and repare the database on a daily basis, but not the Access VB front end.

Is it possible to export the entire database as it is to oracle (with all the table relatioships intact), and still use the VB front end with it?

Thanks.

>>> a Visual Basic forms front end
>>> not the Access VB front end

I'm confused as to whether your front end is a VB6-created executable, or an Access MDB file with links to the backend. I presume the latter.

Firt of all, is everyone opening the same front-end file? If so, you should give everyone their own copy of the front-end.

For fixing corrupt databases, besides Compact and Repair, you can try doing a decompile on the front-end (after which do a compile). Try a compact and repair on your backend as well (warning: make a backup first).

And yes, you can move your backend to Oracle and link to your tables via ODBC.

How are ya newbieDev . . .

Corruption is a big diversified issue. Have a look at the following for pointers on resolution.

Access Database Corruption Repair Guide

Access Corruption

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997

Thanks Guys,

JoeAtWork -
The front end is an Access MDB file (with I think some VB6 code)which links to an Access DB backend.

Yes, everyone is opening the same fromt end. Hmm... I actually thought about that for a second but discounted it because i don't know that much about access. I'll try that and see how things work for a while. But could they having their own copy of the front end create any future problems?

What do you mean by "Compile" and "Decompile"? Do you simply mean debugging the VB code in both the Back and front ends?

If I move my backend to Oracle, will I need to change my front end, or simply relink to the Oracle DB? Will this stop the corruption problems/help?

TheAceMan1 - Thanks, I found the docs/tutorials helpful

Thanks again Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back