Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Database Accessible from Multiple Offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

akrshaw

Programmer
Oct 24, 2006
US
We have a database we want to be able to access from various offices, using the network proves to be too slow.

I previously worked for a company that had an Access Database link (I believe) that when you click on it you had access to the database and all offices were able to connect. But I can't figure out how they did that.

Or we have SharePoint, is there a way to post Data Access Pages to gain access to functions?

Thanks sooo much for your help!~

GREATLY Appreciated!~

Amber

Can you split the database, leaving the backend data on the server and distributing the frontend to the users' desktops?
Or is that what's so slow?

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Are you're offices on an INTRAnet or INTERnet? In other words, are they local or remote? Makes a difference in design.
Also, Data Access Pages are web pages, they have an .htm extension and reside OUTSIDE of Access. They are coded for the Internet Explorer environment, not Access. So some Access functions, such as the DFunctions, do not work because they are not IE functions. They do not use VBA but VBScript or JScript. Also, DAP's are not FORMS. So forget about such things as subforms.

Update****

We are on a Intranet, all the office access the same portal. The only things we are looking to do is create a new record, edit an existing record and search functionality.

The portal will have an IIS web server; if you can use this to run your queries, it can reside on something that the server is local to.

Not really looked at Sharepoint, but this needs a SQL Server back end. Could you move the data into a SQL Server database for increased security and scalability?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back