Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access cant find System.mdw

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorwilliams2

Programmer
Mar 3, 2003
US
One of my user is getting a strange error when trying to open an .mdb.

When opening the file she gets the following prompt: Microsoft Access couldn't find the file D:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw

Some info:
*This is while logged in as Terminal Services user.
*Access 2003.
*Other logons are working.
*Access security has not been implemented.
*The user is new to the server and is unsure if she was able to open the file before.

On further attempts to open the .mdb we receive the the same message but it is looking for System1.mdw, System2.mdw, System3.mdw and so on....

These files are being created in the directory listed above.

This is new one for me.
Does anybody have any idea what might be going on here?

It sounds like the default System.mdw file can't be found and Access is trying to create one and then fails to join the systemX.mdw file it creates successfully (no security really means default security which means the system.mdw file).

This is likely caused by some sort of security setting within the Terminal Server.

The very first thing I would try is renaming one of those files to system.mdw and see if it starts working. If not have the user try to join the workgoup file created manually by going to the Tools menu, selecting Security, Workgroup Administrator and pushing the Join button. Then the user can browse to one of the workgoup files to join.

Hopefully Joining the workgroup manually will either work and solve all your problems or fail and give you an error message that is specific enough to figure out what the permission problem is.

It turned out to be a problem with the roaming profile for the user. We ended up turning that off and deleted the users local progile from the Terminal Server. When logged back in and recreated her folders the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back