Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access cannot open database on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

robheeley

Instructor
Oct 8, 2003
GB
I set up a simple Access database on my laptop at home about nine months ago (Access 2007) and took a copy on a memory stick to work on at work. Since then I have been entering data at work and bringing a copy home to produce statistical analyses. Suddenly I cannot open the database copy on my laptop. Access gives me an error message saying that the file cannot be opened and may be corrupt. It opens fine at work (Access 2010) but not on my laptop. The database contains about 650 records and is about 1.1 Mb in size. Any ideas?

At work, convert it to an mdb (2003 format), then try at home again.

I know for certain that if you do this:
1. Create database in Access 2010
2. Open database in Access 2007
3. Open database in 2010 again, do a compact and repair
4. Try to open again in 2007, you will get error messages, and not be able to open.

I know this, b/c of mixed environment at work - though it's now mostly fixed thankfully - that scenario caused some major issues for a production (one time project, thankfully) database I setup at work.

If you want to keep working like this without upgrading at home, then I'd suggest keeping the database in mdb format. If you want to use 2007/2010 format with no issues, just upgrade to 2010 at home. I know it isn't cheap, but if your empoyer has a Microsoft Employee Purchase program, you should be able to get it for $5, $10, $20, something like that. I know we can get the latest version for home use for $10 where I work. Well, that's the bad part with that deal, of course... 2010 is no longer the latest version, so if you buy from MS, you'll only (I think) get the 2013 version. But it's worth checking into, just in case, I'd suspect.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. I'll try saving the database at work as an .mdb file next week.

However, I just tried saving an earlier version, also 2007, and including about 80% of the data as an .mdb but received the error message that I couldn't do this as the database used facilities unavailable in earlier versions. I presume this is the field that has multiple entries, selected from tick boxes in a drop down list. If this is the case, is there a way round it, do you think? or will I have to dig deep for 2010?

"God himself shall be with them and be their God." Revelation 21:3

Short of exporting all your data, and recreating the database in 2007 or prior, it sounds like your only choice is to upgrade to 2010.

If you want 2010 specifically, you may have to try Amazon/Ebay to find a decent deal. If you want the latest version, though, you may can get it through the Microsoft Employee Purchase Program, assuming your employer participates. I'd imagine if it's a small company, then that probably isn't the case, b/c they don't have enough licenses internally to be part of such a program. Then again, that's a guess on my part.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Well, here's another idea, but it'll involve some work - how much, I have no idea. You could change the field (make a copy of the database first) that you think is causing the issues. If at all possible, that is, change it to something that WILL work with the older version of Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back