Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access : Calculation control #name? error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebilly

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
AU
I have a simple form that is updating a table, and I want to create a column in the table that sums 2 of the columns that are in the table.
I have therefore created a calculation control on the form and used the builder to sum (columnA+ColumnB), but I keep getting #name? error.
Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong ?
thanks

bluebilly

Usually the calculation is not done in the table. What is normally done is you build a query of the table and add a field to the query that does any calculations that you need. On you query you would have "ColumnA" "ColumnB" and finally a third "Total:[ColumnA]+[ColumnB]". Then base the form and any reports off of this query

Another option you can do is keep the form tied to the table, and add a unbound text box to the form. Then on this new textbox set the control source to "=[NameOfFirstTextBox]+[NameOfSecondTextBox]" this will total the boxes. This method does not work as fast as the previous method.

Good luck

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back