Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access C$ without admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasystranger2

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
VN
Hi!.
I have 7 computers in which 01 computer installed win2kserver (NTFS) with Active Directory. Others installed win2kpro (FAT32), 06 computers with win2kpro are registered with domain to manage and apply sercurity folowing domain (if 1 computer with win2kpro want to access C$ driver, user on that computer must know admin password). Today, I met a problem and that make me so surprise when a plug a guest computer (computer number 8) to my LAN (I set IP address in same the of LAN IP range), and it not need to apply admin password but it still can access to C$ driver of some clinents with win2kpro. Now I don’t how to determine what problem is. Please help me to resolve it or give me a suggest.
Thank you so much.
(My English not good, so you can ask me more if you don’t understand).

the c$ drive is not a drive... its a share. A special, administrative share.

you can create on the c: drives another share too then access it in the same way as the c$ share.

don't forget that the share permissions are to manage who can actually connect to the filesystem of the PC via the network, and the NTFS permissions further define actuall file/folder permissions.

what are you actually trying to do here...?

You have a domain controller (formatted with NTFS--very good!)
and workstations that are members of the domain.

If a domain user is a member of the local Administrator group on a workstation, he can access the c$ share.

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Thank you very much.
Now I understand why that guest computer can access C$ share.

Not to sound mean fantasystranger2, but you have to be able to at least grasp the english language when you write your questions. I couldnt understand what you were trying to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back