Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access based enumeration based on workstations group

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcyryl

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
GB
I would like to have a redirected start menu containing folders for various departments i.e. maths, english, biology etc but also hide the folders to which the shortcuts within them are not installed on the pc. I have looked at access based enumeration to hide the folders but would like to achieve this via the group the workstation is in rather than the user, for example..

Pc named ict-04 is in a room named ict1 and is used by maths, english and geography so i therefore create 3 new security groups, (maths, english and geography) and add ict1 into each group. i then go into the redirected start menu and change permissions so that each folder has only the following permissions

Administrator - full
%security group name of folder% - modify

If i then log onto the pc ict-04 the start menu not only does not show the folders i dont have the right to see but also folders that the pc should be able to see.

Is this a limitation of access based enumeration whereby it will only work based on the user's security group rather than the workstations security group?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back