Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access and sql server, performance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipdjango

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2004
Here is my problem
Thre is an app (ERP) running with sql server, connected with several sites.
I want to give the users the ability to look at tables in the database without updating rights, and I think Access ùay be a good solution for this, with runtime and menus giving read-only forms.

For instance, let's say the Item table

I want the user to open a form and very quickly be connected to one record. Then he will change the record by giving a new itemCode and so on..
Is it possible without sending on the net too much data. Will access take from the server all the table or only the record which is seen on the form, if I use a standard Form with the table as recordsource ?

--------------------------------------------------
[highlight]Django[/highlight] [thumbsup]
bug exterminator
tips'n tricks addict

Hi Django.

Access is one method to do this. Personnaly it wouldn't be my choice (even though I'm an access freak ;D).

Lets take your points:

"look at tables in the database without updating rights". Well you would HAVE to use an existing user name that has rights on SQL. Or create one. Users would then use that log in.

"open a form and very quickly be connected to one record. Then he will change the record by giving a new itemCode and so on.."

This is in contradiction to your comment before: "with runtime and menus giving read-only forms."

"Is it possible without sending on the net too much data."

Yes

"Will access take from the server all the table or only the record which is seen on the form, if I use a standard Form with the table as recordsource ?" It will bring back all the data.

DJango - I have two suggestions.

Firstly, when your user wishes to see a record, they build a local SQL statement, and send that to the server to be executed. This way only ONE record at a time is retrieved. Quite simply, a bit of code in your form that says "SELECT itemCode FROM tblItems WHERE itemCode = 1234" (assuming itemCode is a pk) it will bring back the one record.

Secondly, if all your remote sites are connected to your SQL server via a WAN (which Im making the assumption from what you've written), then can you not chuck a few asp pages together and put these on your corperate intranet? Would be a far easy solution.

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back