Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access and ODBC- Getting Access to find ODBC on an NT server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 1999
US
Rather than load ODBC on 200 networked clients (Win 97), we hoped to put ODBC on an NT server and have the clients' Access grab the ODBC stuff from the NT. Ran REGEDIT and updated the registry to (what I *think* are) the appropriate settings. Yet, whenever Access attempts to link to external tables (Oracle in this case), we get various ODBC errors, such as a no find on odbc32.dll (most commonly).<br>
<br>
As long as the ODBC is on the client, the Access processes work fine. If you remove the ODBC from the client and try to point Access to the NT server, it's a no go. All other connections work properly when odbc is not on the client (odbctest connects and returns data. SQL works too); the only uncooperative component is Access. Am I trying to do something that cannot be done? Is there a registry parameter that I'm overlooking? Do I need to re-setup Access? Or should I just surrender and install ODBC on every client?<br>
<br>
Thanks for any and all suggestions!

I never found an answer for the same problem. What Ive ended up doing is exporting the odbc tree in the registry so it is easy to simply click on the registry "piece" and instantly install it. I hope to find time to figure a Windows Scripting Host script to allow me to apply the registry changes across the network. I have about 100 nt workstations. Im really considering looking at a browser solution where I can manage just one odbc connection at the server, but so far I havnt made much progress. If you find any better solutions please drop me a message.<br>
<br>
thanks and good luck<br>

TO TRAILBLAZER:<br>
<br>
You need to install ODBC on all clients in order to be able to use ODBC from the clients, even if your datasource (database) is on an NT server.<br>
<br>
The ODBC Driver API allows registering data source names by having a piece of software doing it for you. Check the Access ODBC driver documentation on how to do that.<br>
<br>
TO BOOKOR:<br>
<br>
The registry is fully accessible through Windows API functions. You'll need to implement a range of DLL functions in order to programmatically change settings in the registry. You could of course check if someone already has done so (I'm sure some have, maybe even in the form of ActiveX controls).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back