Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access and coldfusion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emario

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I am in a bind. I have an Access 2000 database that I've put on our server. Problem number -- Not everone has access on their local. the database has a 3 forms only one input and the rest of the reports and two table. can I use Coldfusion to run the database or read from the database and create and input form for the users. I have very little experience but have been told that Coldfusion is awesome.

Hi Emario,

You can read the database and if the user has to enter data into it, you can use 'cfform'
The user fills in this form and after that you insert the data into the database.
This you do with <cfquery name=&quot;insert&quot; datasource=&quot;xxx&quot;>
insert into yourable values ('xxx','xxx',12,12,3)
</cfquery>
And so on.
So you don't need any access-forms. You place the database-file on your webserver, make your odbc-entry for it and people can access you database trough their browser.

If you want you can mail me and I'll send you some small examples to start with.

Greetings from

Toon

Emario,

Of no small consequence is the fact that you need to have the ColdFusion Application Server running on top of your web server in order to process a .cfm page.

Hi, Emario!

It sounds like your application is fairly simple at this point, so you might want to consider using Cold Fusion Express. It's a free, although limited version of Cold Fusion that is fine for simple forms and queries. It does not support the CFFORM tag Toon mentioned, but you can always validate with JavaScript, and I insert and update using the CFQUERY tag, which Express does support.

You can also download a free, full functioning version that will last for 30 days just to try it out. Here's the link:

Have fun! And, yes, Cold Fusion is awesome! Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back