Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access an IP on another subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randar162

Programmer
Oct 11, 2011
CA
I have a simple question (but not for me). I inherited a NAS, that I can't access it because it is set for IP 192.168.1.77. I have it plugged into a wireless router (192.168.3.2/255.255.255.0) and want to access it temporarily so that I can set it to a different IP, namely 192.168.3.3/255.255.255.0.

What is the best way to do this? Static route? NAT? Use a bigger subnet? I've reached the limit of my IP knowledge, so hopefully I've explained things well enough.

Change your workstation ip address to 192.168.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0. As long as your workstation is plugged into the wireless router on the switch ports as well as the NAS you will be able to access it. (I'm also assuming no vlan's here) Change the Ip on the NAS (you will get disconnected) and then change your ip settings back to automatic(dhcp) or just assign yourself an ip.

CCNA, BCNE, Security+, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back