Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
What are the best alternatives, to step up to the next level in a database?<br>

I don't know that I was trying to make a point.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was asking a question.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is access at the bottom of the database chain?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am asking because i inherited an access database that is crucial to our production at my co. and is somewhat fruity.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am trying to establish if it is the structure of this db or the schema of access that is the problem, and if it is the software rather than the data structure, what my alternative for a smooth transition are.&nbsp;&nbsp;I find access to be easy to work with, but i don't know that it can handle the level of input and inquiry that we need to accomodate, basically entering 200-300 records a day and looking up 500-600 individual records and editing, plus half a dozeen query/report functions.

Microsoft Access is a good database.<br>Microsoft Access with SQL tables is a great<br>Database.<br><br><br><br>GET MS SQL SERVER 7.0 UPSIZE YOUR ACCESS TABLES<br>TO SQL RENAME ORIGINAL ACCESS TABLES CREATE ODBC<br>LINKS TO YOUR SQL TABLES. NAME THE LINKS YOUR<br>ORIGINAL TABLES NAME.<br><br>

Pardon me for being so bold - there was a touch of stire there.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>For the most part ACCESS is at the bottom of the db league and should never be considered as the the db of choice for large db's.&nbsp;&nbsp;That said many people start using it and never envisage that there small db will expand to encompass all areas of business!!&nbsp;&nbsp;They then incur problems 1 or two years down the line when table sizes become large and the whole db becomes unstable.&nbsp;&nbsp;Record locking is poor.&nbsp;&nbsp;As is table indexing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I could go on and on.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>So in answer to your question an alternative might be SQL Server .<br><br>WP <p>Bill Paton<br><a href=mailto:william.paton@ubsw.com>william.paton@ubsw.com</a><br><a href=

I've seen comments that if you reach more than 10-15 concurrent users and 100,000 records you may have performance problems if you use Access as the <b> back end</b>. At 200-300 records a day you'd reach the 100,000 mark in about a year. <br><br>MS SQL Server is the next step in the Microsoft family of products. If you don't care aout whether or not it's MS, you might want to post in other db forums on this site, or look at the web pages for competing products including (in descending order of market share, I believe) Oracle, IBM and Sybase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back