Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access ADP Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

estrassm

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
I am trying to confirn a of "theory" that I have concerning when and how to use ADP based on what I've read so far (and yes I'm a beginner so this may be way off). My intent here is to understand where the Access ADP technology fits. Here goes....

Even though ADP allows creation and generation of html pages, its intent is to allow Access front ends to be bolted on to SQL server DB's for multi-user deployment i.e. it was not meant to negate the purchase of the Access client license by allowing the construction of sophisticated web pages.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

I've only been using ADP for a couple of months now but I would say your theory is correct. I have utilized it because we wanted to upgrade our Access database to SQL server to allow PHP scripts and such to access it. However, we also wanted to keep the Access interface as is for the people who rely on their forms and reports. ADP allows the best of both worlds. You can make changes to your MSSQL database by either using the standard MSSQL console, or by using the Access ADP project which the rest of your staff may be more familiar with.

So yes you are right. You can't have an ADP without Microsoft Access.

Cheers,

Devon

Something I've run across a couple times lately is that Microsoft is not going to support the Jet engine much longer which makes getting familiar with the ODBC OLEDB models a smart move. .ADP does not support any more concurrent users than Access .MDB files do and you have to use ADO because DAO isn't supported so it's not an easy transition but, like estrassm, I've started learning how to use Access Projects because it may well be the only option in a couple years.

Paul

".ADP does not support any more concurrent users than Access .MDB files".

What exactly do you mean here? the logins are controlled by SQL server not the access project.

It may be that MSDE limits the number of concurrent users as opposed to SQL server. I'm afraid I will have to check my book but I just read it over the holiday break. I will try and clarify this tonight. Sorry if I'm passing faulty info.

Paul

Paul,

No worries mate, you might be right about MSDE, at my last job I had over 70 concurrent users in access project, but a lot had different versions of the front end.

Yes I agree the transition from DAO to ADO is a bit daunting at first......but once you start getting into ADO you will realise that it is far better and far more powerful than DAO.

Hope you had a good xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back