Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access ADP Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

estrassm

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a good "You can learn Access ADP in 21 days or less......" type book. Most of the Access How To books cover the subect but only for a few pages. Thanks.

I just purchased
Microsoft Access Projects with Microsoft SQLServer by Ralf Albrecht and Natascha Nicol.
I'm only to Chapter 6 but it seems reasonable in terms of learning about Access Projects(21 days would be ambitious at 600+ pages). It covers all the back ends, SQLServer 7 and 2000 and MSDE1 and MSDE2000. It points out that MSDE1 is not nearly as good as MSDE2000. The only drawback so far is problems loading the Sample Db. I was not able to load it in MSDE1 but I think it's a problem with the CD and not with MSDE1. I was able to attach the NorthwindCS.adp and get it running. It's the only book I've found that gives more indepth info about Projects.

Paul

Hi,

I will recomend the same book as Paul, as I bought it and it saved my ass. It will take you through the whole process of upsizing an access database.

Nowell, did you load the cd that came with the book? I was not able to attach the .mdf and.ldf files from the cd. I have been able to attach other files, specifically NorthwindCS and haven't had any issues except with the ContosoSQL database on the cd.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think I did load the CD but never used it, I will try and attach the databases to one of my spare SQL servers today.

If I get it to work I could send you a backup then you can restore from that.

Will let you know anyway mate.

Let me know how it goes. I got a response from the Microsoft Learning Customer Support but they can't tell me what the issue is. Here is my original email to them

Comment: Trying to install the .MDF and .LDF files from the command line.
1> EXEC sp_attach_db @dbname = N'ContosoSQL',
2> @filename1 = N'C:\MSSQL7\Data\ContosoSQL_Data.MDF',
3> @filename2 = N'C:\MSSQL7\Data\ContosoSQL_Log.LDF'
4> GO

I get the error
Msg 5172 Level 16 State 15 Server JHZB000 Procedure Line1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The Header for file
'C:\MSSQL7\Data\ContosoSQL_Log.LDF' is not a valid database file header. The PageAudit property is incorrect.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back