Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access accde opens read-only in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoulderRidge

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
I created an Access application in Access 2007 on a Vista machine. Now it is being distributed in an Access 2010 and Windows 7 environment. The shared database lives on the network and works fine.

The front-end application database file is distributed by placing it on the network share and then manually copying it down to each user’s local machine. This works fine if the file is in accdb format. However, I want to secure it using the compiled accde format, but….

Using the accde format, the user who copies the file from the network to an ‘all users’ trusted location on the local machine is able to run the application fine. Any other user who logs into that machine and tries to run the same file gets an error because it is running the application as ‘read-only’ and this application will not work in read-only mode.

This seems unique to Windows 7 and is not caused by an intentional ‘read-only’ setting (we’ve checked the file properties and they are normal). I know Windows 7 user account control is doing something, but a) I’m not sure exactly what and b) I don’t know what to do about it. Nobody on the affected team has administrator rights in this environment. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- BoulderRidge B-)

Have you added the installation to trusted locations in the Access instance on the offending machine? Are you allowing "all macros" to execute? Also you may have to manually take ownership of the file on the host machine (properties|security tab).

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back