Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access a DOS windows in ASCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hug

Programmer
Mar 14, 1999
VE
I can't figure this out, I need to access get all the info from a DOS app, I can't find the correct function to capture the whole session in ASCII anybody can help me?<br>
I know that if the DOS window is in Whole Page mode and I press PrintScreen, I can have the characters from the APP in the clipboard and edit it with notepad.<br>
Now, i need to do the same thing from code.<br>
Please Help!

I seem to recall an article dealing with this from either Dr. Dobbs Journal and/or Windows Tech Journal. <br>
<br>
Dr. Dobbs is online at and you can search for an article, and pay to read it. <br>
<br>
WTJ went out of business several years ago, and I haven't been able to find a web site for them. Too bad, since they cut through a lot of the BS that existed/exists. Unfortunately I had to make room on the bookshelf this past spring, and recycled my back issues. Maybe someone else here kept theirs.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>

I hven't had much experience programming in windows but to get all of the screen input from dos you just need to use say getchar() in a for loop that will get every character and then dump it in a txt file or something.<br>
<br>
just an idea<br>
<br>
tom moses

That works if you are in DOS, the problem I am having is to access the DOS windows from a WIN app. I tried some hooks, but they don´t work when I switch to a DOS windows, I am running out of Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back