Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

krnsmartazz

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
US
Does Access 97 have a restrictions on a number of forms or does Access pop bugs when the MDB gets to be a certain size??

Check online help, under "limits, program". It includes the following:

Database (.mdb) file size: 1 gigabyte (excludes attached data).
Number of objects in a database 32,768
Modules (including forms and reports with the
HasModule property set to True) 1024

So the limit is pretty high. Explain what you mean by "Does Access pop bugs when the limit gets high". What sort of symptons are you getting?

Cheers,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au

the database just stops working... i think im over the limit because when i delete one form the database starts working again

i just counted all the reports, forms, modules and i counted around 1500. when i try to convert this access 97 database to access 2000 i get a VB corrupt. when i delete some reports and convert it converts all right. is there a way i can convert the databse without deleting any reports??

(a)Thats an awful lot of objects, and that itself would have me worried.

(b) Access 2000 reportably has the same 1K limitations - I quote from online help: "Modules (including forms and reports with the HasModule property set to True 1,000"

(c) Try something like this if you cant bring everything over in one hit, though as I'll elude to later, you may have to address a broader question.

(d) Do the convert in two stages. Make two copies of the Access97 db (retain the original as your backup). Then from each copy, delete half the objects - ie. different halves, but first half should have ALL of the tables; dont try to spread them). Then convert each of the copies separately to Access2K. Then run the File, Get External Data, Import to import the missing half from the one A2K database to the other. See if this does the trick ...

(e) As I stated earlier, thats a lot of objects. Out of interest, how many tables do you have in the application, and for the "major" tables (eg. customer, stock - or whatever they are in your application), how many records. How many queries, reports, modules, macros? How many direct users of the application, and how many people receive reports etc. out of the application.

(f) There is every chance that the application is less than optimal, and that many of the objects can be subsumed into fewer common generic objects, and the application could be much simplified. This process however can require a lot of up front effort (and expertise)

(f) I'd be interested in those statistics above.

Cheers,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back