Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 & Windows 2003 Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPhil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2004
GB
I have just transferred about a gig of Access databases from a dying NT4 box onto a brand new Windows Server 2003 dual processor box with 2Gb of RAM on a 1Gb network.

The Access 2 databases are working fine, as are the Access 2000 databases. The Access 97 databases all take about 20minutes to load. I have traced through the4 hubs and the bridges and they are all fine, no collisions. The cabling is fine.

The only thing that fixes the problem is to change the XP pc's from a 10Mb hub to a 100Mb hub but even then the databases are not as fast as they were on the old NT box (Pentium 200Mhz dual processor).

I can't think of why this problem is happening. Can anyone think what may be happening?

Phil

Do local front-end copies of the database reside on each workstation, with the back-end tables residing on the server? If the answer is yes, I'd test to ensure that infact the problem is a network/server problem by moving a copy of the back-end to a development workstation and re-link those tables to a development version of the front-end. If you do this and the performance problem disappears then you know for a fact that the problem is either network- or server-related and is not related to the actual application.

If you perform this process and the performance issue disappears, you may be encoutering problems related to opportunistic locking. Opportunistic locking has been confirmed to adversely effect Access databases.

HTH

--
Mike

I wish I could report that your suggestion had fixed the problem. I do remember there being issues with opportunistic locking and FoxPro some years ago so I was hopeful. Sadly, no effect at all. I think there is some deep rooted network issue that is affecting performance. Sadly I can't find it yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back