Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 report with linked SQL Server Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad0AEW

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2012
US
I have a report in an Access 97 app that has as its data source a query that is built programmatically. The query can get rather long, as the Where clause is built programmatically and can have several different conditions. When the data was all Access I was able to run it without error. I now have most of the tables as linked tables to a SQL Server 2005 database. When I now run the same report I get the following message:

"Run-time error '3163': The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data."

Is this because of the data now being linked to a SQL Server database? Could there be something in the SQL to the query (which now has straight Access and SQL linked tables in it) that would generate this error? When I step through the report the error occurs when the datasource Database value is set to CurrentDb.

Thank you for any assistance.

This is my query. The Select and From clauses are the same, yet the WHERE clause is built programmatically based upon what the user selects on a screen.

SELECT DISTINCTROW I.TAG, K.Tag AS KTag, I.GAUGE, K.MetalEval, (IIf(I.TYPE="EMBSD" Or I.TYPE="MTRLAM" Or I.TYPE="MIXED" Or I.TYPE="TRANS" Or I.TYPE="HRPD" Or K.MetalEvalWord Is Null Or K.MetalEvalWord="",I.TYPE,K.MetalEvalWord)) AS ITYPE, I.TYPE, I.REASON, I.[MILL TAG], I.[THICKNESS ID], K.MaxRB, I.RB, I.ANCHO, I.[THICKNESS ID], K.Scale, I.WEIGHT, I.REMARKS, I.PIW, I.CANDIDATE, I.TESTING, I.PRICE, I.CUSTOMER, I.[SALES ORDER], I.[DATE SHIPPED], I.[CUST PURCHASE ORDER], I.[PROC ORDER], I.[RELEASE NUMBER], I.[DATE RELEASED], I.DOCUMENT, I.[DATE RECEIVED], I.[DATE ENTERED], CInt(([Weight]/[PCS])/[ANCHO]) AS NewPIW, I.ORIGEN, I.[TRANSACTION DATE], I.LOCATION, I.[ADDED BY], I.[DATE CHANGED], I.[OUR PURCHASE ORDER], I.[RECEIVING NUMBER], I.QUALITY, I.TYPEREC, I.[PROC COST], I.[SERV CENTER], I.[CHANGED BY], I.PHOTO, RoundNear(([Price]+(IIf(IsNull([FREIGHT COST]),0,[FREIGHT COST]))),1) AS RoundedPrice, I.[THICKNESS OD], [GAUGE ORDER].[SORT ORDER], I.LENGTH, I.PCS, I.[DATE RECEIVED], I.LIST, I.[FREIGHT COST], I.WAREHOUSE, I.[BASE PRICE], tblRMY.RMY_Code, Mid(I.[REASON],1,2) AS Expr5, CUSTOMERDATA.[BROKER CODE], Left(I.Remarks,(InStr(1,I.Remarks,"Kieh")-2)) AS InvRem, I.Selected, TagComments.KiehRemarks, TagComments.BranninRemarks, I.[PRICE]+I.[FREIGHT COST] AS DeliveredPrice, ([DeliveredPrice]*I.[WEIGHT])/100 AS EXTENSION
FROM ((((InvData AS I LEFT JOIN qryKiehMains AS K ON I.TAG = K.Tag) LEFT JOIN CUSTOMERDATA ON I.CUSTOMER = CUSTOMERDATA.CUSTOMER) LEFT JOIN tblRMY ON I.ORIGEN = tblRMY.Origin) INNER JOIN [GAUGE ORDER] ON I.GAUGE = [GAUGE ORDER].GAUGE) LEFT JOIN TagComments ON I.TAG = TagComments.Tag
WHERE (I.TAG <> '-999' AND (REASON) IN ("AVAILABLE") AND (WAREHOUSE) IN ("13", "16", "18") AND ((IIf(I.TYPE='EMBSD' OR I.TYPE='MTRLAM' OR I.TYPE='MIXED' OR I.TYPE='TRANS' OR I.TYPE='HRPD' OR K.MetalEvalWord Is Null OR K.MetalEvalWord = '',I.TYPE,K.MetalEvalWord))) IN ("GL", "GLNL", "HR", "HRPD", "HRPO", "MIXED", "TRANS") ) OR ((I.TAG) IN('505603', '505763'))
ORDER BY I.TAG, I.ANCHO;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back