Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 dbase - conversion to 2k/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMack

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
GB
I have inherited a large, very capable database which was written in Access 97.
I am in the process of planning migration from Office 97 to either Office 2k or XP.
My question is can I expect to convert the database without a major re-write of code?

In my experience going from Access 97 to Access 2000 is pretty automatic. Going back to 97 after the 2000 conversion can be problematic, so if you think you'll ever need to work with it in 97 I would recommend that you make a backup copy. The databases I converted were not extremely complicated, so your mileage may vary...

-Larry

Hi James,

If you have liberal VBA code, then you may have a few problems - if not, then it should be straight-forward.

Regards,

Darrylles "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Totally agree with Darrylles. If you don't see Option Explicit across the top of the screen, you may have problems. I know I do. I've inherited a couple of disasters that need to be re-written and they won't convert cleanly.

I've only converted one application, but it's rather huge. Several things had to be tweaked, but nothing even approaching major.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Sorry...

Huge as in it has tons of code.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back