Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 conversion from Access 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmccarthy

Programmer
May 12, 1999
IE
I recently converted an application from Access Version 2.0.<br>
running on Windows 3.11 and Novell 3.12 to Access 97 running<br>
on Windows 98 and Novell 3.2. A few of the large reports that previously worked fine in Access 2.0. are causing Windows fatal exeption 06 errors. The reports are large label print runs with reports generating hundreds of pages.<br>
The reports continue to print fully once 'any key' is pressed to remove the windows error.<br>
<br>
Perhaps it's a Novell problem (printer buffer full) but<br>
if any body out there know how to stop the blue screen of<br>
death.........Thanks

Try 'repairing' and 'compacting' the database. I had this problem on NT and this solved it. Is you database on a netwrok drive? I've had problemns with Access databases sitting on NetWare network drives. To fox the problem I have to temporarily move the databass to my local drive. Access doesn't seem to like doing lots of work on a database on a NetWare network drive!

I never saw that exact problem but did see another strange printer problem when upgrading from 2.0 to 97. The printers with very little memory stopped printing any of the graphics (lines). The data continued to print ok, though. I was told that Access97 required more overhead for graphics.

Microsoft says NOT to repair the database unless the database itself generates a message saying specifically to repair it. Compacting is O.K. and should be done on a regular basis. I do mine once a week, but some people do theirs daily.<br>
<br>
Bob

I heard the same statement several times about repair can cause problems if done when not needed. However, the latest patch for the Jet Engine for Access 97 has 2 .dll's. MS engineers told me that once you install them, you never need to repair again as the repair function becomes tucked neatly (and safely) inside the compact function.

I heard the same statement several times about repair can cause problems if done when not needed. However, the latest patch for the Jet Engine for Access 97 has 2 .dll's. MS engineers told me that once you install them, you never need to repair again as the repair function becomes tucked neatly (and safely) inside the compact function.<br>
<br>
p.s. that patch was SR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back