Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access '97 Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanmc

Programmer
May 31, 2001
CA
Hello ...

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not or to what degree MS Access '97 is compatable with Access 2000 / XP Office? Do programs need to be rewritten at all or is it completely compatable?

Thanks,
Ryan.

The biggest difference is the Change from DAO to ADO. If your database has code, and that code references Database and Recordset objects, then you'll have to manually convert quite a bit of the code.(Or, as a quick and dirty fix, add a Reference to the DAO 3.6 object library)

I just finished a 2 page article that deals with the differences between DAO and ADO at a high level. It's in HTML format so I can't paste it here. I'll E-mail it to you, if you like.

P.S. I've used Paradox. I don't like it.

Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

Tyrone,
I would really appreciate a copy too if you can spare the time as I have a converted database which has to be compiled each time,
perhaps due to an ActiveX Calendar form or?
Anyway I need to know more, any tips.
Thanks
Jim
james.maidment@oceanfree.net

Tyrone,

Could you please e-mail me your article on the differences in the change from DAO and ADO. My e-mail address is jratkins54@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Also ... if anyone else can give me any information on the differences between MS Office '97, Office 2000, and Office XP, I would really appreciate it because my supervisor now wants a full report and I seem to be having difficulties finding any information.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Access 2002 / XP (whichever you want to call it) allows you to make design changes to Access 2000 format databases without converting them to the current (XP) format. This is something that no other version of Access has allowed you to do. In Access 2000, in order to make design changes to an Access 97 database, you needed to convert the database to 2000 format first. Access 2000 was the first version of Access that would allow you to convert database to previous versions as well. With XP, you can convert databases back to 2000 and 97 format.

DAO is still supported by Access 2000 and XP. If you're not ready to make the change to ADO yet, it's not necessary.

Access 2002/XP contains some great new features. One of the biggest benefits comes to those developing Access front ends for SQL server back-ends. Access 2000 ushered in the Access Data Projects (ADPs) for this use. Access 2002/XP really brings the benefits of this feature to life.

The following KB article outlines What's New & What's Enhanced in Access XP, which should help your report to your boss.

Good Luck!

Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back