Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 and Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

atadbitslow

Programmer
Feb 26, 2001
US
Has anybody had any bad experiences using Access 97 on a Win2000 machine/network? We will be upgrading our operating system to Win2000 soon, but our database is in Access 97. I would prefer to leave it there for a bit, since I have heard so many bad things about Access 2000!

Comments? Thanks-

Top tip for using any MS Access DB on Win2000 machines.
If your database is stored on a server/mapped drive somewhere you may experience problems with Windows 2000 degrading the connection after a period of time. This is not a problem with Access but Windows 2000 - It will cause errors in access such as 'Disk or Network Error' and is very frustrating when you are updating stuff. I have yet to see a solution to this - have hunted for quite a while for one, but so far no joy - I can't even find anywhere that it is documented.
Appreciate hearing from anyone else suffering this. If you want specific details gimme a shout.

Cheers.
Seán.
cichlid000@hotmail.com

Has anybody had any bad experiences using Access 97 on a Win2000 machine/network?

YES!!!
We HAD two Win2k machines on an NT network that would corrupt our database sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. We tried everything, from changing NIC's, ODBC drivers, and MDAC versions to installing Win2k and MSjet service packs. Finally, we put NT 4.0 back on the machines. The corruption went away. I have run accross other people in some other newsgroups that have had the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be limited to just Access 97, as some of the people were running Access 2000.

From what I understand, Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. Just beware that going to Win2k could cause serious corruption problems!! Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back