Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 and Access 2003 on same machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2005
GB
I need to have access 97 and access 2003 installed on the same machine. The reason being is that I have some databases that are access 97 versions and some that are 2003 and for various reasons, I can't yet convert the 97 ones to 2003.

My question is this, is there a switch or something I can put on the end of a shortcut's target to tell it which version of access to open that shortcut in? Hope that makes sense?

andy

Use the full path of the desired msaccess.exe version in your shortcut.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV is correct (as usual)

Set 'Target' in Shortcut Properties to:

Something like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\msaccess.exe" "C:\My Documents\YourDbName.mdb"

where the first path in quotes is the path to the msaccess.exe that you want to use to open the database (in your case either the Acc97 or Acc2003 exe.

The second path is the path to your database or 'front end' if split database. Hope this helps.

we have had 97, 2000 and 2002 0n the same machine with no problems. READ the form about convertinf from 97. In short you need to convert to 2000 first.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

We can only get access 97 to run in runtime mode when any Office 2003 components are installed (on win xp). Any one else had this problem.

I have 97, 2000, and 2003 all on the same machine without problems. Main thing is to install in different directories, but try to find Microsoft article Q241141 for more details.

My apologies I should have explained: Due technical reasons to convulated to bother explaining, we need to install Access 97 on pc's that already have Office 2003 components installed. It is this scenario that prevents Access 97 running in design mode. Any one else come across this problem?[ponder]

install Access 97 on pc's that already have Office 2003 components installed
I think the proper order is:
1) uninstall all 2003 components
2) install 97
3) reinstall 2003 components

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Again, I will second PHV's thoughts. We have consistenly seen problems when Access 97 (Runtime or Full Install) is installed after later versions. The KB Article 241141 mentioned above even details certain problems that will occur. It is a pain to uninstall everything and reinstall - but I did it as recently as last week at a client site and it fixed the problems they were having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back