Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2016: Make A (Fancy?) Chord Chart! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have a database that tracks song performances and captures event info, information about songs, links, just everything a band leader (or at least me!) would want.

One thing I've had a for a long while is chord charts in the database. When I print out the report, it looks like this:

capture3_t7k7ah.png

It's functional, but not optimal.

What I would **love** is to have formatting like this:

Capture_ronr8p.png

Is it possible? Only thing I can think is that you'd have to have separate field for each alternating line or something. Is it possible to put some sort of indicator at the beginning of each line that would trigger certain formatting in a report?

Thanks!!

Matt

I'm not sure how we can answer when we know nothing about how your data is stored. Can you provide some records? Are the song sections split out in the data?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

That's unfortunate, heh.

The chord chart is stored in a memo field. One memo field per song.

Database Schema

Thanks!!

Matt

It looks like the positioning is based on a fixed width font and you look like you prefer a variable width which would be near impossible to create. I'm not sure how you would ever know where to insert the bars and which rows are chords and which are lyrics.

You can use code like Me.Print in code to display almost anything anywhere but it would take a huge effort to get what you want.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

That is correct. Using a fixed-width allows me to ensure that the chords are positioned exactly over the words with which they coincide. I kinda figured this was either extremely difficult or impossible.

Probably where I'll end up is just linking to word documents. Not everything has to be in the db, and Word will allow much greater flexibility with what gets printed and where. But, the geek in me wishes it could be an all-encompassing db. Thanks for your help!

Thanks!!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back