Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2016: Hyperlinks Broken when Printing to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
So at least I figured out a solution here, but it's not an acceptable solution...

I have a database to store song names and track information and performance history. When I pick the order for the next gig, I have links in my Access report, which were properly stored in the tblSongs, that would take the band members to Youtube so they can listen to the songs to prepare. Up until last week the links, for whatever reason, were working. Now they are not.

It seems that unless the link is stored as it won't work when printed to PDF. And some of those links are pretty long so they may not fit in the report.

I had each link stored as the SongName# so they appeared in the report and such as the song name rather than something illegible.

One, why did it break? Two, why isn't it working now? When I open the report in "Report View", the links work just fine. When I "Print Preview" and then "Print", the links in the resulting PDF do not work. But they used to. That's the really weird thing.

This happens whether I use Nitro, or Adobe, to print to PDF.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Matt

So this is the strangest thing. I figured it out.

When I use a macro to print the report to PDF automatically, the links will work.

If I open the report from the 'Reports' section, then print it manually to PDF, no matter if I open it in 'Report View' or 'Print Preview' or w/e, the links will NOT work. Strangest thing...

The macro is set as follows:

ExportWithFormatting
Object Type: Report
Object Name: Service - Order (that's the report name, of course)
Output Format: PDF Format (*.pdf)
Output File: (blank)
Auto Start: No
Template File (blank)
Encoding: (blank)
Output Quality: Print

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks!!

Matt

Office documents exported to pdf preserve links, exporting to pdf is different from printing. Check your pdf printer settings.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back