Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2013 - using web apps with desktop database - OR accessing desktop database remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss100

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
GB
Hello I have looked fairly extensively online, but can not come up with a conclusive answer.

I have a desktop database in Access 2013.

I would like to be able to update the backend tables from a laptop with a 3g or 4g data connection (or tablet etc).

Is there a fairly straightforward way of doing this?

Thank you for any pointers

Mark

Are you trying to split the application into backend DB with front end code?

Is this an internal network or VPN?

I run a complete system with there being a SQL Server backend , MS Access application local user front end and users in France / South Africa.

How are you setting up the infrastructure so the app and data can be 'seen' by each other?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

I'm flexible with the approach as I have not deployed the database yet.

At present my db is all in access 2013, split front and back end.

I am basically just trying to enable us to update out office database when we are out and about.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks mark.

Well the backend DB part needs to be in a location that can be accessed internally or externally.

I do this via mapped drives and secure VPN.

So we have a corporate network drive (lets say X:) shared from the main server file share (//servername/my_db_data) that would hold the backend DB.

The remote users fires up the VPN and establishes a secure connection to the corporate network. (ensure you set the users VPN client to use split tunnelling otherwise all the users internet traffic will go through your corporate network, not good!).

Then our user fires a simple batch script which maps the company network drives.

So the remote user now has a VPN connection to the corporate network and an identical X: drive, so when the front end opens and tries to talk to the backend DB on X:\my_db_data\my_backend_db.accdb , it is able to find the data and every thing works.

In my frontend app I actually use linked tables to SQL server using TCP/IP port 1433, but the principle is the same.

You may be able to use UNC paths instead so the linked data is via '//server/usershare' and then there is no need to do the mapped network drive.

I've not linked to another Access DB file for a long time so not sure if UNC is possible.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back