Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2013 Freeze / Hang When Switching from Design to Form or Table view??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
At work, I had Office 2010 upgraded to 2013 the other day. Everything seemed just fine until I went back to working on updating an Access database. The problem is that after the upgrade, now every time I:
1. Open a form, table, or query in Design view, and then..
2. Switch to Form view
3. Access will spin and spin, sometimes REALLY long times - minutes, not seconds, before it goes to table/form/datasheet view.

What I noticed this morning when I thought of something else to test is that if I:
1. Open an object in design view
2. close the object
3. Re-open in form/table/datasheet view, it works just fine.

Here are things I tried to resolve it:
1. Reboot PC
2. Turn off hardware graphics acceleration
3. Ran Office Repair from Windows 7 Programs and Features
3. Had helpdesk do a full uninstall/reinstall of the software package

I have also had a neighbor who does the same job as I test the same databases I'm using. He is using Access 2013 as well, and had no issues.

One thought I just had was, I wonder if there are any User specific Access files that I could try moving and letting Access recreate to see if that could be the issue. I would guess they would be under AppData under the User folder in Windows 7, but that's just a guess.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/references as to how I can correct this issue?

Thanks in advance.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

By the way, for anyone who reads this and is having a different performance issue, for some, all they had to do was turn off the hardware graphics acceleration. To do that, open any office program besides Access, and do the following:
[ol 1]
[li]Open File Menu[/li]
[li]Select Options[/li]
[li]Select Advanced (on the left)[/li]
[li]Scroll down until you see Display (about halfway down)[/li]
[li]Check the box next to Disable hardware graphics acceleration[/li]
[li]Click OK[/li]
[li]And for good measure, you might as well close out all Office applications and re-open the problematic one to see if issue(s) resolved.[/li]
[/ol]
But that didn't work for my issue.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Add another item to the list that I tried but didn't help:
4. Rename the Access folder under c:\users\myname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\ to Access.old, and allowed Access to recreate the folder. When I did this, Access recreated the folder, but it made no difference.

My Access 2010 forever locks up, especially when trying to save an ACCDE.

Though I don't have an 'Advanced' menu option as you mention, so I guess your introductions are only relevant to 2013?

When users run the app on 2010 runtime, it's fine, it just seems to be me when I'm working on the source code I get these random lock ups.

I put some of it down to the fact I am editing the MDB file on a mapped network share?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Yeah, MDBs over the network can be troublesome. In one of our projects, at least, where we still use Access, I hope to finally (one day in the not terribly distant future) set things up to where the user can open a database that basically creates a copy on their local C drive rather than everyone using front-end copies over network (seems to be where the majority of corruption issues comes from).

But that aside, my issue is now resolved, thankfully. I contacted our IT support department, and the one individual I spoke with suggested running Windows Update and installing any Office Updates. As a Corporate policy, normally no one touches updates on an individual basis, b/c the IT security department tests each Windows update, and ensures they don't cause security issues, and then others ensure no stability issues before rolling out the updates.

In my scenario, it seemed to be worth a shot, so I ran the process, and since it had never been run, it took forever and a day. Then I installed all provided Office updates. Viola! Access fixed! So either it was an early bug or else something broke during installation or else perhaps there was some file/setting from my old install (2010) that was having issues with 2013.

All users run local ACCDR copies of the application, rolled out as a on app via the 'Solution Packager'.

It's only my master source code MDB accessed on the network share.

Glad you got it sorted, I always have to patch 2010 Runtime with SP1 a hot fix and then office 2010 SP2 before it works properly!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back