Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2013 and TSQL Bigint? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I am looking at using a SQL Backend and Bigint as the identity / autoincrement field in tables because the tables will become huge.

My catch 22 is I am still stuck using Access 2013. Access 2016 of course has native support for these datatypes.

I thought I read something about a 64 bit integer in earlier versions of Access instead of the LongLong introduced in 2016. Am I imagining this?
I am beginning to think I was thinking LongPTR which will do 64 bit but only if access is apparently. Mine is of course 32 bit.

The long way around would seem to be to convert values to text and use pass through queries for data changes or stored procedures that do the conversion from text. Am I missing anything? Is it the long way around, use int and no bigint or some other choice?

>convert values to text

That's the solution I remember for Access prior to Access 2016.

Thanks, I was afraid that was the answer. I was hoping it was just hidden by all the BigInt supported in 2016 content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back