Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2013 and SQL objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

batteam

Programmer
Sep 12, 2003
US
My company uses many Access 2007 client end applications with SQL tables and stored procedures as server support. Naturally, they are all .adp project files. My question is, I've heard that Access 2013 will not support .adp files anymore but you can still link SQL tables to the files. But what about the stored procedures? Will Access 2013 still support SQL stored procedures as the queries for the applications? I read different stories on the blogs on the internet. Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Not having used 2013, I assume it is the same as it is now. You can use ADO command objects and SQL pass through queries to run SQL stored procedures.

The main thing ADP's give you is managing SQL objects in Access instead of separately in some other tool (like SQL Server Management Studio).

It is a little bit different approach not using an ADP as you generally don't ever want to write Access queries that run direclty against the linked table objects as it can be a huge performance hit (the Access database engine might do a table scan instead of letting the SQL server do the lifting). Instead you write directly against the SQL tables and pass the SQL to SQL server (i.e. Pass-through query).

It is popular opinion and even recommended by Microsoft not to ADP's. Given that, there is no reason you have to wait for 2013 purchase to convert away from ADP's.

Thanks for the response lameid. I will start to brush up on 'Pass-thru' queries. I have come across them in my readings, etc but don't know much about them at this point. Thanks again for the info.

SPT (SQL Pass Thru) queries take a connection string much like a linked table to the SQL server do. Beyond that it does not have a design view only SQL view. The SQL view text is passed directly to the server.

Another suggestion search the internet for DSN-Less connections... That may help smooth your efforts in the long run (basically no using a DSN in the connection string).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back