Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2010 Runtime Ribbon - Complete idiots guide needed! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICCIIT

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
GB
OK... I have read so many articles now that its confused the hell out of me...

ALL I want to do is allow my users (Runtime versions only) to be able to have 3 standard options "filter by selection" "clear filter" "sort ascending" on a form. Of course in Access full version these are available on the ribbon and by right click

It seems that for some reason it requires a lot of faffing around outside of Access using XML (which I have no experience in) and then creating Add-ins (again no experience).

Is there a simple bit of VBA that I can put within the form to allow these basic options??

Very frustrating indeed...

Is there a simple bit of VBA that I can put within the form to allow these basic options??
Not that I'm aware of.

You have to edit the table that stores the ribbon XML. (USysRibbons)

Have a look here :
Once you show the hidden / system objects, if the table doesn't exist you need to create it.

Then I use this XML for the ribbon...

Code:
<mso:customUI xmlns:mso="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">[/URL]
 <mso:ribbon startFromScratch="false">
 <mso:tabs>

<mso:tab id="mso_c1.3B5D1FAF" label="Home">
   <mso:group idQ="mso:GroupClipboard"/>
  <mso:group idQ="mso:GroupSortAndFilter"/>
   <mso:group idQ="mso:GroupRecords"/>
   <mso:group idQ="mso:GroupFindAccess"/>
   <mso:group idQ="mso:GroupWindowAccess"/>
  </mso:tab>

<mso:tab id="mso_c2.3B5D035F" label="Export Options">
  <mso:group id="Export"  label="Export Data" >
    <mso:button idQ="mso:ExportWord" visible="true" size="large" />
    <mso:button idQ="mso:ExportExcel" visible="true" size="large" />
    <mso:button idQ="mso:ExportTextFile" visible="true" size="large" />
    <mso:button idQ="mso:ExportXmlFile" visible="true" size="large" />
    <mso:button idQ="mso:PublishToPdfOrEdoc" visible="true" size="large" />
</mso:group>
</mso:tab>

</mso:tabs>
 </mso:ribbon>
</mso:customUI>
Then in the usual options section -> Current Database -> "Ribbon & Toolbar Options", you can select the ribbon to use.

I feel your pain as it is not user friendly at all, but once you have it in place, it's easy to manipulate.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Hi 1DMF
Thanks so much for this, I had got as far as creating the USysribbons table but then got so confused about how to create/write/edit XML using XML editors or Notepad or Word etc that I just gave up.

I will now copy and paste your xml in to the table and start to play... I think this is what I needed just to get me going!

Will let you know how I get on in a day or 2..

Cheers

Ohhhh wow..... this is so cool and so much more helpful, I wish I had asked here first instead of getting sooo stressed watching YouTube vids which were as clear as mud!

Very much appreciated for this excellent kickstart... I will now dig deeper and explore!

Star for you 1DMF!

I'm confused. My Access 2010 runtime shows a ribbon that already includes these options.

: "Ohhhh wow..... this is so cool..."

XML wasn't defined as a standard for nothing; takes a bit of initial thinking to understand it's indents to indicate sub-record and self-related data items etc.
But, once you DO think about it - a light-bulb comes on - it's so natural and too cool.

ATB,

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

>to understand it's indents to indicate sub-record and self-related data items

You are aware that indentation is just there to make it easier for a human to read? It isn't (generally) part of the XML standard; as far as XML is concerned whitespace is only really significant within an element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back