Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2010 objects DISAPPEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksl

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2009
US
I am having an issue with Microsoft Office 2010 Access product. I have a rather complicated DB with multiple objects and VBA code. The product was written in either 98 or 2000 version of Access.

Every few weeks, all the objects within forms, reports, macro's, and modules disappear. I cannot find an apparent reason for this as the timing and work at the time is completely inconsistent. By disappear, I mean DISAPPEAR - as in I can't get the objects back without restoring them from a backup copy. As you can imagine, this is rather devastating to my public safety users.

I have tried MS updates, etc, and nothing yet seems to prevent it from happening.

Any thoughts?

Are you using a split database (separate application and data file)? Does each user have his/her own copy?

Only 2 thoughts come to my mind... 1 someone is deleting stuff or 2 you have some malware that is corrupting the database and it is only a matter of time before the backup gets hit.

So check your Anti-virus definitions. Test the AV by downloading Eicar and run a free scanner.

You could also try logging objects when people log out.... then you might see which user it is.

Thanks for your response. This is a self contained DB stored on our shared network. The user having issues with it is also the professional developer. If it were anyone else, I would totally agree that it's probably user error, but the DB is build so the user really has to know what s/he is doing before they can even see the tables.

Oddly enough, I've also had this happen to me when working on a DB. Originally I thought it was a freak happenstance, but not so much now. Nothing like this started occurring until we implemented Office 2010 & started working with previously built DB's. In one instance, I was working on a form modification in a different DB when all of a sudden all of my forms, report, and macro's disappeared. The tables remainded & the data intact, but everything was all of a sudden gone. This now makes 4 or 5 times.

Thanks for your advice on running a scan. I'll do that on the ones that it hasn't been run on recently.

Still looking for all the help I can get!

Have you verified through code that the objects are in fact gone and not hidden/invisible? I would think you could do this through the currentproject object.

Along the lines of MajP's post, are you sure things aren't being twiddled around within the navigator pane and you just don't see them?

I've used Acc2010 native and using ACC2007 with some mdb's and by default the navigation pane is set to hateful for the mdb's.

Access 2010... There are 32 vs. 64 bit inter-op concerns too if there are machines pre-SP1... Heck there are issues if you use ACCDE's and have pre-Sp1 and post sp-1 in an all 32 bit environment. That could maybe apply to the Access 2010 binary appended in the MDB's (assuming it works the way it always had). In short, patch everyone!

I can verify that the objects are definitely gone.

Hmmm... that gives me something more to explore. Thank you both. The machines that this is happening on are all running WinXP with SP3. Could it be an issue with the 32-bit that will go away with a Win 7 64-bit machine? It would be fantastic if that were the case since these machines are due for refresh this year & will be upgraded to Win 7 64-bit.

I'm with you - navigation is set to hateful for this version.

I am not talking the OS. Office 2010 is the first version to have a 32 and a 64 bit version. On a 64 bit machine you can run 32 or 64 bit version of Office / Access.

Anyway there is a compatibility issue in the RTM code for Access when an ACCDB is shared between 32 and 64 bit versions. They fixed it in SP1... The effect is that compiled code from pre-sp1 Access 2010 is a different animal from the post-sp1 Access 2010. Post-sp1 compiled code dies on a pre-sp1 machine even if both are 32 bit. Because of this I am suspicious about what behavior may happen with mdb's run by Access 2010 since historically previous version create a window in a the file for the later version that is a newer copy of the objects to run native. The management of this seems like it could be tied to the SP1 or not issue or the 32 vs. 64 bit issue. In anycase upgrade everyone and do it all at once. Maybe a runonce in a login script to install and shutdown... turn it on an 15 min before people leave and tell them to log off and on before going home for a special installation. Those that don't will get it in the morning but have to wait.

Huh... if I am right, you could compact with the older version then reopen the database which will force a new creation of the objects. Worth a shot as a diagnostic.

FYI I monitor this site and many other Access sites pretty consistently, and have never heard of anything like this. So this unfortunately (for you) is not some kind of common issue with a known solution. I can understand some kind of incompatibility causing issues to become hidden, but actually deleting them is a hard to conceive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back