Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2010 db getting err using INSERT INTO stmnt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faxpay

Programmer
Nov 30, 2004
US
Struggling with this one. I have the below INSERT INTO statement. Using vs2013 Express Visual Basic.

SQLStr = "INSERT INTO Clients " _
& "(ClientID, EIN) VALUES " _
& "('Name', TIN);"

My err msg: "A first chance exception of type 'System.data.oledb.oledbException"
"Additl info:No value given for one or more required parameters."

My conn: ConnStr = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\T&NDevelop\EFTPS_Access_TestSQL__App.vbp\Database6.accdb;"

Thinking I have an sql mistake? Variables look right on when debug. Could it be something other than the sql stmnt?

Thank You,
Tom

you should do a debug.print. I am guessing that TIN is a variable. So you would need to do something like

SQLStr = "INSERT INTO Clients (ClientID, EIN) VALUES ('Name'," & TIN & ")"

So you can resolve your variable. It will not resolve inside the parentheses. If not you will definitely get an error.

Hi MajP,
I see what you mean now. My SQL stmnt was constructed all wrong. I should have seen that when I looked at the Text Visualizer and saw that neither variable was being resolved.

I am a sometimes novice programmer. Thank You Very Much for your help.

Tom De

No problem. But I always set my procedures like this.

Dim strSql as string
strSql = .......
debug.print strSQL
'test that first then write the rest of the procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back