Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2007 query difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutrased

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
US
Some co-workers and I have noticed a subtle change from Access 2003 to 2007.

In 2003, you could highlight a table or query name in the Database window, choose Insert on the menu, Query and the New Query window would open, defaulting to Design View. Clicking OK would open a new query with the selected table/query in the grid.

In 2007, the table/query selected does NOT automatically show up in the grid. Instead, you must locate the table/query and "add" it. While this is nice when multiple tables/queries need to be selected, it is frustrating to lose this feature for quick queries of one object.

Does anyone else miss this feature? Or know of a work around?

Using Access 2003 myself... Never done that before. When I do, I get the wizard which uses the selected object by default...

If you end up in design view without changing object tabs, can't you just drag and drop the table/query into the design view? This is an extra step but the next obvious quick step.

Try choosing "Design View" instead of one of the Wizards. If you have not first clicked on a table or query, the grid opens with "Show Table" window so you you can choose the object(s) for the query. This works the same way in both 2003 and 2007.

Now close that new query and click on a table/query name in the database window. Repeat the Insert command, and the selected object is automatically added to the grid. That allows me to begin working on my query immediately without having to choose what table goes in the grid. That is the feature that is not in Access 2007.

Drag and drop can be used in both 2003 and 2007, and is fine for working with mutiple tables/queries. I am refering to the specific case of querying a single table/query.

The wizard I am refering to is the new query wizard. It pops up when you hit the new button OR you use insert. In EITHER case you can select design. The difference is that with INSERT you do not have to specify a table to start to end up with one in the QBE.

Having said this when you use insert you do not have to change tabs to queries to hit new. So to drag and drop from the selected object in the database window to the QBE is easy as opposed to the show tables dialog where you would have to find it (I think this is half your issue).

Personally, I've always gone through the object tab and new query wizard (to design view). To me, navigating the Database window is slow for a one time query. I may open a table directly and filter by selection but otherwise I'd start with a query. That's just my opinion of course but another approach that may make the issue easier to swallow.
In my mind, it is about the same number of clicks; assuming of course you are finding the table by name and not date or description. The fundamental difference of course is you are already starting on the tables tab for some reason. I am just suggesting if you can change that habit for some or all circumstances, it will be less annoying.

I wish I had a better answer. I wish I could lay my hands on Access 2007 to play with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back