Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2007: Prevent Users From Unhiding Db Window & Changing Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWestII

Programmer
Jan 30, 2004
US
How do I prevent Users From Unhiding Database Window and Changing Settings in Access 2007?

Users with Access Professional are able to view the database window and change startup properties in the database. Most of my apps are .mde files so most of the objects cannot be modified; however, the users can get to the tables and queries to modify those.

I need a solution that will protect my database objects by precluding the user from having the ability to see the database window, database objects, and startup / security settings (in mde and mdb files).

All Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for responding!
I have code of this nature already in use in the system; so there is something more that I need to do.

First thing you want to know is that unless otherwise told Access makes the assumption that everyone who opens the database is the database administrator, so I had this same concern when I built my departments current database setup and the solution that I devised was that I created two password protected user accounts. One was for the administrators and the other was for the general users, and then from there I setup user level permissions for each database object so that if someone stumbled across something that they shouldn't have the worst thing that would happen is that they could read the data, and you can even keep the user account from being able to do that. No update capability, no edit capability, no admin authority. This won't take care of the database window access but at least they will never be able to edit the database objects. That and I just hide the database window on start-up and most people forget that it is there.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back