Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulcooke

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Forgive my ignorance but i'm a SQL server programmer who has been asked to develop a Access 2003 system. Basically my query is simple; if a database is developed and placed on a server and multiple instances are created on user desktops can all these users enter details into the customer table for example at the same time. Asking basically because heard from numerous sources that due to table locking this is not possible but can't seem to find a definite answer and if this is the case we need to suggest another solution. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

An Access multi-user system would use two files.

A backend file containing tables which goes into a shared folder. A front-end file containing all forms,reports, queries and code; this goes onto each user's pc and links to the tables on the backend.
You can set record level locking to apply and for the default locking option for forms to be Edited record, at the outset of your development (Tools>Options).

You can reasonably expect to build an Access app that is usable by up to 20 users, although this is nowhere near the theoretical maximum.

Once upon a time Access only used Page Locking which locked all records on the same page when any one of them needed to be locked. This option is still available and is still the default if you do not choose pessimistic locking (edited record).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back