Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2003 synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I have a VB.NET 2005 application that uses Access 2003 as it's database. I have setup replication, with a master database on the network and each user PC with a replicate. The users are out in the field and not always connected to the network, but they still need to be able to use the app. When they return to the office and get connected, they can click on a button to perform the sync with the master. The users have been noticing that not all of their data is making it into the Master database when they sync up. Has anyone had experience in using the synchronization process in Access? If so, is it reliable?

For reference, here is my vb.net code that performs the sync...
Code:
Dim objDBEngine As dao.DBEngine
Dim objMaster As dao.Database
Dim objReplic As dao.Database
Dim strMasterDB As String
Dim strReplicDB As String

strMasterDB = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("MasterDBFilePath")
strReplicDB = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("ReplicDBFilePath")

Try

objDBEngine = New dao.DBEngine

objMaster = objDBEngine.OpenDatabase(strMasterDB)
   objMaster.Synchronize(strReplicDB, 1)
   objMaster.Close()

objReplic = objDBEngine.OpenDatabase(strReplicDB)
   objReplic.Synchronize(strMasterDB, 1)
   objReplic.Close()

CompactDB()

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

Finally

objMaster = Nothing
   objReplic = Nothing
   objDBEngine = Nothing

End Try

Have you looked at the Conflict Viewer?

Yes, and I've had to manually resolve the conflicts. Is there no way to code my app to resolve the conflicts automatically?

Thanks for the info. After looking at what is involved...not so much for me, but for the users...I may have to scrap the local database idea and not allow the app to be used without a connection to the network.

I have use replication in a small way in the past, and I did not like it.

... in the end, I found it easier to set up a small website.

If I had my way, I'd set this up as ASP.NET web app, but unfortunately, I'm stiffled by the lack of a web server where I work. [sad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back