Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2003 Calls per hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwgmr

MIS
Mar 12, 2001
US
Hi everyone hope things are going good. Hope more that you can help me ;) lol
Here is my problem.
I'm good in excel but access I just seem to fight with.

I have Excel sheet with list of calls we take over 31000 rows which is why I feel access should be beter to work with. I have brought it into access 2003 and have full table.
I just want to count number of calls that come in during an hour per day. I have column that is Created date

I wanted to setup report or query- then report? To group first by day of week then by hour so it would look like this or close to
Day Hour Total Calls
Sat
8am 3
9am 5
extra till
Mon
8 am 0

Doesn't have to start at 8am just using as example.
Is this possible?

Thank you all, I'm sure anyone works with access will find easy to do but I seem to have mental block when it comes to this program lol

Hi,

I just had to do a similar thing for a financial report - several vendors, each having several account numbers, each having separate charges, and the report was supposed to print all charges AND a sum for each account number.

All you need to do is group your report by Day, then by Hour, and add a subtotal by Hour. You can use Access's report wizard to do this, then customize the report's layout.

This will print the total on a line BELOW the Hour. If you do not want this, I can suggest the following, which I had to slap together pretty quickly for the above report. (Hence, not the most elegant of things.)

1) Create the grouped report as I mentioned above, and open it in Design view.

2) Find the Hour group footer, find the text box with the total calls per hour, and give it a meaningful name - say, txtCalls. Then, make it invisible.

3) In the report detail, add a text box, and change its control source to txtCalls.

4) Run the report, and play with the Hour group footer size and height to make the report look nice.

The logic is simple - the group footer generates the total you want automatically, and the text box in the detail just pulls the value from it.

There might be a more elegant way to do it - say, with DSum - but I couldn't figure out how. I ain't no pro...

Good luck!
--Michael

Yes this is very possible and you can do it different ways depending on how you have set up your table. If each call entry is assigned to a particular hour, you can sum in a query for a report or you can group in the report itself. Both ways are simple but again it depends on how the information is entered into the table. Check in help on how to sum a group in a report or when you create the query you can choose "summary".

If you need additional help, please post more information about how your table is set up.

Hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back