Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2002 (xp) & Access 2007 On Same Machine ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

janteby

Programmer
Feb 14, 2012
US
Hello

I have a machine where Access 2002 (XP) was on & where I designed many applications that were working fine.

I then uninstalled MS Office 2002 but left Access 2002 & then installed MS Office 2007, which included Access 2007. I wanted to have both Access 2002 & 07 on at the same time.

Now when I run any of my Access 2002 MDBs with Access 2002 I get the following error. It happens on every Application & on every Form that has code to it.

"The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events."

"The expresssion may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure],
"There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

I tried decompiling some of the Apps, Compact & repairing, using brand new blank MDB files & transferring over all objects, all Service packs have been updated, & no matter what I do I cant get rid of that error message, hence none of my apps will work now.

I researched a lot on Google & came across this 1 article:
In the article it says under Vista or Windows 7, but even though I have Windows XP Pro, I still tried the solutions & still does not work.

I then un-installed Access 2007, hence leaving just Access 2002 & now my programs work again.

Is their any way to have both 2002 & 2007 on the same machine at the same time & not get the above Error ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jeff

Since I have not done that myself, I don't know but I have some thoughts.

Based on the results you are seeing, I would look into running the older version of Access on a Virtual Machine or Dual boot.

The other thought I have is that some security program is keeping Access from modifying the registry as the Allen Browne article suggests Windows Vista and later prevent. Probably some sort of anti-malware package, think Anti-virus suite.

If you are feeling brave, you might look at creating registry files to merge in to convert from using one version of Access to another and at best it will take a lot of work and luck to get it to work... The problem with this is maintaining patch levels.... Seriously Virtual Machine would be a better option.

Another alternative.... Upgrade to Access 2003, patch and then install 2007... Then live with the fact that everytime you try to use the other version it is going to reinstall part of Access. Again, Virtual Machine is looking like it is worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back