Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2002 -- Will it convert db to ADO ok? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusbrunston

Programmer
Feb 27, 2001
US
Hi.

Unless I'm mistaken, Access 2002 uses ADO to the exclusion of DAO. Since Microsoft is obviously not going to continue supporting DAO, is it important to get Access 2002? Will it convert the A2K database to ADO? What about modules that are dependent on DAO? Any experience moving up from 2000 to 2002, and what is your recommendation. Or is this a matter for greater minds than mine?

What has ".net" to do with all this? My latest msdn subscription library disks just got here, and it says they're only compatible with Visual Studio@.net. Wha's happening?

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

to your first question reguarding access 2002 converting dao to ado... it can't... dao and ado are programing techniek's (sorry for spelling:))... and they work differently... it's not like a in dao is the same as z in ado... there is no simple way of converting it like that... you need to go in and take out the dao reference and then rework the code in the whole app to work with ado... that's to my knodlge, i'm sure there are others that know more then I around here... and they may be able to help more...

(i have heard of tools that would do it, but i wouldn't trust them myself, though it may be a good starting place for you...)

--Junior JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Hi.
Thanks for your response. That's what I thought...that I'm behind the curve. Should've stuck with Dartmouth Basic.
Cheers Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Ok here is what I know.
ADO is part of Access 2000 and up, if you have calls to DAO you can open the database and go to design view of a module choose tools and references, scroll down to Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library. Check it....click ok...reopen the references, now move it all the way up the chain use the priority arrows. It will stop at number three. If it is not number three it will not work correctly.
All the code that you wrote using DAO should work. Also keep in mind that when you upgrade code or queries you must go thru each version of ACCESS you cannot skip a conversion.

hope that helps

fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back