Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access 2000 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappe7

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
some of you might have read a previou post regarding this issue. management has changed its ideas though.

We have decided to upgrade everyone here to Access2000. my question now is how to convert my acc97 DB so that i wont lose it in the upgrade. should i install both on my comp at first? or cani just install the upgrade and then "convert the acc97 db to acc2000 by specifying a new name" by going to 'database utilities' , convert database' and then 'to current database version'. if i do it this way do i need both versions on my computer.

FYI - the DB file is just one file created in 97 that exists on a network accessible to multiple users. some of us currently have 97 while others have 2000. i will be converting to 2000 soon and we dont really care aboutt he 97 users regarding this db anymore. only 1 or 2 people need access to the db, so as long as 2 people can work it it is fine. however it needs to be 2000 not 97 for the few users of the DB. i dont want to make a front/back end files. i just want one 2000 DB that the needed users can access. will the simple covert option work fine. there are no modules or reports in this DB. only tables, forms, queries and macros.

NOTE - one of the macros imports an xls97 file. will i have to edit anything there or will it still recognize the file even though it will be upgraded? thank a lot. if you need more detaisl please let me know.

When I did this I installed A2K on my A97 PC - Remember to choose your own selection during install and select to keep A97 if you let Office2K run its own install it will overwrite the A97 installation - ALSO place the in sep. folders i.e. office97/office2K.

But it looks to me like you have decided to "drop" A97 and go for A2K if this is so then there should be no problems in converting your existing bases to A2K, when I did so I ran into very few problems, most of the time none.
However A2K will read and write to an A97 base.

Rgds

There is one area you will need to be careful with. A97 uses DAO as it's default engine. A2k uses ADO which has different syntax.
You will need to make sure you have set a reference to DAO3.6 in Access 2000 and make sure you prefix all of your dao objects (recordset, database, querydef, etc) with DAO. so Dim RS as Recordet become Dim RS as DAO.Recordset.

I have just upgraded this week, and have found this is the only problem I have had.

Good luck with your upgrade.

ben ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

Ben changing the DOA stuff is only applicable if i have modules correct? do i have to worry about anything besides checking the refernce library in 2000 for dao3.6???

IIRC DAO is not used by any of the M$ wizards, so if you have used just them, then you should be fine.
If you get any problems, make sure you let people know you have upgraded when posting on the forum.

Ben ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back