Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 - Removing Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzy9680

Programmer
Sep 27, 2001
US
Here is my situation....We were using a program called SpeedFerret, to examine our database objects to see which ones were used and which were not used. Something in this process caused a system.mdw file to be created, indicating that we now have security on this database. Not good.

When I try to open it on my computer, which does not have the .mdw file, I get an error, Jet cannot find the object MSysDb.

We followed the instructions on removing security, found here. Now I am getting a different error, Jet cannot find the object 'databases.'

I would love it if someone has experienced this problem before, and could help me solve this problem.
Susan

A few points. All Access databases have security. The default is the security.mdw file that ships with Access. That security, is minimal, but it is there. I know you don’t want to hear that, but you can quickly prove it. Create a new database. Input control G which will put you into the VB debugging environment. Now, key in the following ?dbengine.systemdb and press enter. That will give you the currently assigned mdw file.

Until a year ago I was an avid user of Speed Ferret, now I prefer Rick Fishers Find and Replace which does everything Speed Ferret does and a bit more for considerably less money. However, neither the smiling Ferret or Find and Replace create new data objects; and I can assure you they neither create security files nor do they create and or destroy Access System files.

It sounds to me what you have is a corrupted database; not a security problem if for no other reason that every step you take to resolve a security issue keeps bringing you to some other type of problem.

Hopefully, you backed up this database before you began trying to eliminate security and you can get back to that state; or at least to a state prior to this problem rearing its ugly head.

You can do a search within “tek-tips” for threads dealing with corruption and you should get enough information to solve your problem.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back