Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 "Disk or Network Error" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
US
Let me first preface by stating that I know as much about Access as I know US tax laws.

I provide support for a large corporate environment and Access is just not my strong suit. However I have a customer that uses Access 2000 with a database on a shared network drive.

The client does an import function from an Oracle database and imports to several tables in the database. During the import he will start getting this "Disk or Network Error" message in Access. There is nothing else in the error window (other than a link to click on Help).

I flat out do not know how to start troubleshooting this problem.

From what I have read on the web I believe I can safely eliminate a hardware issue since I have an active remote session with the client (VNC) and I can tell that he isn't losing a network connection or dropping his IP. No other apps are faultering.

Disk space does not seem to be a problem either.

So my question is how can I go about trying to narrow down the problem. What should I be checking for? I wish there was some log file generated that I can look at but I don't think there is.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

see if the same behavior occurs when the database is copied to the local hard drive as opposed to network share. there might be a locking/resource usage issue on the file server.

If network trouble is out of the question, then the most likely candidate is corruption ...

(just thought I'd be "rude enough" to mention that there are seven dedicated Access fora here ;-) ...)

Here's a "standard text" I might paste into a reply with regards to this error (whatever you try, do so ON A BACKUP, in fact, do make several before attempting anything, and do try the /decompile thingie ...)

"This faq Corrupt Microsoft Access MDBs FAQ has a lot of info concerning corruption, symptoms and how to deal with it. MakeItSo's FAQ705-4683 also has some recommandations.

During the last years, I've resolved all my code corruption issues using the /decompile option, in stead of importing objects. It's described here Decompile or how to reduce Microsoft Access MDB/MDE size and decrease start-up times

Here's also an option that might provide some results on exporting/importing database objects Thread705-834817."

Roy-Vidar

It took a while for the customer and I to get back together. RoyVidar you were correct that it was corruption.

Thanks.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back